Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Finishing up Week 1

The first few days were a little tough I am not going to lie. I felt the detox for sure. Headaches, fatigue, a little achy nothing too ridiculous but I could feel it. Even though I have pretty much cut most dairy out of my diet for almost a year I was craving ice cream! So weird... Then by about Thursday I was generally having no more cravings for my beloved starchy grains and sugary treats...

I said this before when I did Paleo last year. I am NOT very hungry at all. It is bizarre. Well I guess its not; It's actually science I guess. The processed grains in our diet spike our glycemic index because they turn straight to sugar and then when you crash, which doesn't take long, you are hungry again. Paleo diet is very  low glycemic index. When you are eating bunches of vegetation, fruits, nuts & seeds, healthy fats and lean animal protein you are FULL. It takes a while for your body to digest these things because it wants to take all it can get since there is so much for these foods to offer your body. I know this is all so trivial we ALL know these things because its our instincts to know what real food is.... Its so amazing though how we can turn it off because its just not as convenient. Although I have had a pretty healthy diet for a while now there is no question that I can easily combine it with too many carbs. When I was pregnant I stayed away from processed foods and have avoided fast food for a few years now; but I love pasta, homemade sandwiches with too much avocado, brown rice, english muffins etc... I would try and validate it by saying "but its from Trader Joes.." But at the end of the day, sugar is sugar. These things in moderation are fine and life would be sucky without them once in a while but its easy to overdo and to have a carb based meal at each meal of the day.

I can honestly say that eating healthy can absolutely be convenient. My shake is easy to make, my salads with my pre-chopped/washed salad simple, grabbing a handful of nuts obviously easy. The only thing I really need to do a little preparation for is dinner and its really not that hard to cook some veggies and chicken. Not to mention I enjoy making my family dinners with a fancy spin on them. Doesn't sound like a lot of food but I promise it is if you allow yourself to feel it. Grains turn to sugar, sugar makes you hungry... Cut out the grains and you will be fuller.
*Quinoa is a seed not a grain so absolutely eat this. It does have a higher carbohydrate level so I am holding off on incorporating it back into my diet until I am closer to reaching my goal.

I am down three pounds after week one. Im not discouraged, Im not starving... If anything I am mad at myself that I didnt just keep this up because it can be so easy if you let it be. Thanks everyone for your support and asking me questions and allowing me to share the knowledge I have gained in nutrition these past few years. Every month I seem to learn something new and I love sharing it with others.





No comments:

Post a Comment